Before you speak to a news reporter, prepare yourself. Here’s a media encounter checklist.
1) Establish objectives of interview – both the media’s and your objectives
2) Collect relevant information
3) Prepare messages and themes for interview
4) Complete crib sheets for your reference
5) Develop opening statements
6) Think of examples, stories, an analogy
7) Practice quotes and sound bites
8) Review potential questions
Only after you have thought about what you should say, what you want to say – should you open your mouth to a reporter.