Every now and again, all of us should think through the how we perform and complete our work. Everyone can be more efficient and, therefore, more productive in their day. To help us concentrate on our working habits, By George Journal posts a few pointers to drive towards greater efficiency in your workday. Try applying these techniques:
- Get down on paper a goal-focused plan for the day/week: Abandon overwhelming to-do lists and plan for outcomes. Write down your goals and the action steps required to achieve them. Be clear about what you want to achieve in a day or week.
- Focus on the 20 percent of work that delivers: 80 percent of your results are achieved from 20 percent of your efforts. With this in mind, concentrate on the 20 percent of the activities that will give you 80 percent of your results on your daily/weekly list.
- Think “single task”: Do one thing at a time and do it well. Multi-tasking is overrated, ineffective and compromises quality.
- Simplify tasks: Examine everything you do and create ways in which your tasks can be made easier. Simplify all repetitive tasks; automate where possible.
- Eliminate distractions: Create periods of time for your work. Also, block times when you may indulge with “favourite time-wasters” like emails, browsing, phone calls, social media or whatever else may be consuming your time.
- Take short breaks to relax and recharge: Take 15 minutes every couple of hours for yourself. Meditate, go for a walk, anything that will help you regroup your thoughts.
- Say ‘no’ to those things not in your plan: When you are saying ‘No’ to something that is not aligned with your goals, you are really saying ‘Yes’ to having more time for achieving your plan.