This week By George Journal posted one hundred of our favourite quotations of the provocative genius Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Here are our Top Ten Emerson Insights:
- What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded.
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us.
- The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck.
- Life consists in what a man is thinking of all day.
- Insist on yourself. Never imitate.
- Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
- Do not be too timid and squeamish. … All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better.
- Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
- Work and acquire, and thou hast chained the wheel of Chance.
- To fill the hour, and leave no crevice … that is happiness.
As a concluding note on the week, The Ralph Waldo Emerson Institute has created a remarkable website for the purpose of providing a digital archive of the life and works of Ralph Waldo Emerson. We highly recommend it: http://www.rwe.org/
Chris George, providing reliable PR counsel and effective advocacy. Need a go-to writer and experienced communicator? 613-983-0801 @ CG&A COMMUNICATIONS.