Readers of By George Journal will know we are on Twitter – @ByGeorgeJournal – and we tweet a regular stream of quotes, communications insights and remarkable retweets.
Here are some facts about Twitter that may surprise you…
- Today, Twitter has 313 Million monthly active users
- 500 Million visit Twitter monthly but do not log in
- 82% of Twitter users are mobile
- The average Twitter account has 208 followers – and is a woman with an iPhone
- 29,2% of US social media users are Twitter users. That makes for 66 million Twitter users in the United States.
- 83% of world’s leaders are on Twitter
- 63% of Twitter users find Twitter a relevant source for news
- 500 Mio tweets are sent very day. That is an insane 6000 tweets every second.
- Tweets with images get more reactions. Images can increase click-throughs by 18%, result in 89% more likes, and get you 150% more retweets.
- Hashtags were introduced in 2007. Today, tweets with hashtags twice as much engagement than tweets without hashtags.
- One or two hashtags are optimum, while more than two hashtags can result in a drop in engagement.
- BTW – The most tweeted hashtag is #FF (Follow Friday).
- The Twitter account with the most followers is Katy Perry with over 93.3 Million followers, followed by Justin Bieber (88.7 Million), Taylor Swift (81.1 Million), and Barack Obama (77.8 Million).
- 82% of Twitter users watch Video on Twitter. 90% of video views on Twitter happen on a mobile device.
- The top five markets for Twitter are US, Japan, Indonesia, UK and Brazil. Together these five countries produce 50% of all tweets. However, this is an international tool as Twitter supports over 40 languages
- Two-thirds (65.8%) of US companies use Twitter for marketing purposes. And 92% of brands tweet more than once a day.
- 60% of people expect brands to answer a query in a tweet within an hour
- 76% are likely to recommend a brand if they experience friendly service on Twitter
- Twitter was created in 2006 and the first tweet was sent by Jack Dorsey on March 21.
- Twitter has 3860 employees (worldwide) with 40% of these employees working in a technical role.
- In Q2 2016 Twitter made $602 million in revenues
Chris George, providing reliable PR counsel and effective advocacy. Need a go-to writer and experienced communicator? 613-983-0801 @ CG&A COMMUNICATIONS.