So, you have pen in hand and are ready to inscribe a short note on your loved one’s card. But all you can think of is “Roses are red…”!?? Not to worry: the wordsmith-cupids here at By George have pulled together 20 of our favourite quotes on ‘Love’ so that you may whisper them on your special date, raise them as a toast, or write them in your St. Valentine’s card(s).
If you are feeling especially amourous, here’s a romantic suggestion: instead of buying the ‘over-the-top’ Hallmark card, buy a blank card with a meaningful visual on the cover. Pen a few personal thoughts that you can then punctuate with a remarkable quote.
We hope these quotes help to make your St. Valentine’s Day!
- “The heart that loves is always young.” – Greek Proverb
- “The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.” – Victor Hugo
- “Love comforteth like sunshine after rain.” – William Shakespeare
- “All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “No love, no friendship can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever.” – Francois Mauriac
- “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.” – Sophocles
- “L’amour fait tourner le monde.” / “It’s love that makes the world go around!” – Anonymous
- “Love doesn’t make the world go ‘round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” – Franklin Jones
- “Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
- “A man is only as good as what he loves.” – Saul Bellow
- “Omnia vincit Amor: et nos cedamus Amori!” / “Love conquers all: and let us too surrender to love.” – Virgil
- “Young love is a flame; very pretty, often very hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. The love of the older and disciplined heart is as coals, deep-burning, unquenchable.” – HW Beecher
- “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways./ I love thee to the depth and breadth and height/ My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight/ For the ends of being and ideal grace.” – Elizabeth Browning
- “We attract hearts by the qualities we display; we retain them by the qualities we possess.” – Suard
- “What is life without the radiance of love?… I have enjoyed the happiness of the world; I have lived and loved.” – JCF vonSchiller
- “Come live with me and be my love,/ And we will all the pleasures prove/ That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,/ Woods or steepy mountain yields.” – Christopher Marlowe
- “The entire sum of existence is the magic of being needed by just one person.” – Vi Putnam
- “Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction.” – Antoine de saint Exupery
- “Where love is concerned, too much is not even enough.” – from ‘The Marriage of Figaro’
- “Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the gods.” – Plato
Chris George, providing reliable PR counsel and effective advocacy. Need a trusted executive assistant, a communications can-do guy, or a go-to-scribe? Call 613-983-0801 @ CG&A COMMUNICATIONS.